You can register for:

  • Self Assessment if you’re a new sole trader or the ‘nominated partner’ in a new self-employed partnership
  • Corporation Tax if you’ve set up a new limited company
  • PAYE for employers if you’re taking on staff
  • VAT as a new business
  • You can’t use this service if you’re setting up a limited liability partnership or you’re not the ‘nominated partner’ in a self-employed partnership. There are also a few other situations when you must register in a different way.

Self Assessment

You may have to register for Self Assessment because you need to tell HMRC that:

  • you have more complicated tax affairs, for example you have income from property or capital gains
  • you have worked for yourself before and are restarting self-employment

Corporation Tax

To register an organisation, for example a club or society, for Corporation Tax, follow the 'Starting a company or organisation and Corporation Tax' link for more information about how to do this.

PAYE and employers

There are some exceptions where employers in certain unusual circumstances can not use the Online Tax Registration service.
Follow the 'How to register as an employer' link for more information


There are some exceptions where you cannot use the online registration service to register for VAT. Follow the 'How to register for VAT' link for more information.
Please note: If you have used one of the other ways to register for business taxes, you need to sign up for online services separately (see below).
VAT Mini One Stop Shop (VAT MOSS)
An optional scheme for EU or non-EU businesses providing telecommunication, broadcasting and e-services to EU customers to submit returns to account for VAT due in all member states.

Machine Games Duty

If you are responsible for premises where machine games are played and Machine Games Duty (MGD) will be due, you must register with HMRC.

Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)

Service for financial institutions to report to HMRC on interests held by US citizens and other overseas residents under FATCA and similar reporting obligations. You should register as an organisation to use this service.



With our newsletter, you automatically receive our latest news per e-mail and get access to the archive including advanced search options!

» Sign up for the newsletter
» Login

Contact us

8 Holgate Court
4 - 10 Western Road, Romford

01708 925700